Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pearl

If you’ve been tuning in here recently, you know I’m performing research for my upcoming Homeless Pets Heroes book.  Today was another research day, but it was far from ordinary.  As the George Strait song says “I saw God today."

I was sent to interview a Dad, Mom, and their delightful children who rescued a beautiful, gentle, and loving shelter dog; a boxer mix named Pearl. Immediately upon entering their home I sensed a busy household full of fun, laughter, hard work, and although this is a blended family, a genuine love for each other. I knew a special story was about to be revealed to me, and I couldn't wait to hear it.

We’ve all had experiences where things don’t go the way we planned, and in the end, things turn out much better than expected…That’s what happened for this family who rescued Pearl.
Pearl was passed up for adoption several times due to heartworms, and her time in the shelter was nearly up.  Mom pretty much met Pearl by chance because she had to pass Pearl’s kennel to get to the dog she actually wanted to see.  Mom spent time with both dogs, but was easily won over by Pearl’s enthusiasm, sweetness, and wet sloppy dog kisses. 

Heartworms are easy to prevent, but difficult and costly to cure, but this family was undaunted.  They adopted Pearl regardless, and gave her the medical care, love, kindness, and food she had been deprived of during the previous 2 years of her life. Heartworms were the least of Pearl’s problems.  While being treated, a tumor was discovered, necessitating the removal of her front leg.  After much research and many sleepless nights, during a family meeting it was decided to go ahead with the surgery, and hope everything turns out OK.

OK is an understatement. A few months have passed now, and Pearl is better than ever.  She is a very important part of the family, she is loved very much, and gives much love in return.  Vaughn says, “She always licks you and gives good kisses.”  Evan likes to snuggle with her and pet her soft ears and chin, saying “She’s a good pillow when she sleeps with you.”

Pearl can still do everything she did before he had the surgery.  Talia says, “My favorite thing is playing tug of war with her, with her bones and ropes.”   Gavin told me “She likes to run outside and chase me.”

Obviously I didn’t know this family prior to today, but it was quite evident Pearl has made a great impression on them.  Through her trials she has provided the family with several lessons.  Mom and Dad told me she taught them "to remember how uncertain life is, and to live each day to the fullest."  When I asked the kids what Pearl taught them, they said something that all of us should remember:  “Even if something is wrong with someone, don’t give up, you should help them.” 

Before I left, the family posed for photos.  In the lens of my camera I saw 6 happy, smiling faces, and one grinning dog - who clearly belonged to each other, yet came together by chance - and stayed together through love.  In the lens of my camera I saw God today.

No comments:

Post a Comment